WYOMING SENIOR COMPANIONS
In this post, we are featuring Wyoming Senior Citizens Inc’s Senior Companion Program.
Wyoming Senior Citizens Inc. is a private, nonprofit organization whose purpose is to meet the needs of Wyoming’s older residents and help them maintain their independence. Programs offered by Wyoming Senior Citizens include Senior Companion Program, National Family Caregiver Support, Long-Term Care Ombudsman, Wyoming State Health Insurance Information, Senior Medicare Patrol and more.
To learn more about all programs offered by Wyoming Senior Citizens Inc,
What is the Wyoming Senior Companion Program?
The Senior Companion Program is a dual-purpose program that provides volunteer roles and benefits for low-income senior citizens who assist other adults with special needs, primarily in their own homes, and the goal is to encourage independent living, thereby delaying or avoiding institutionalization. Many of those who have served as Senior Companions have been Jefferson Award Winners, meaning they are local winners who are ordinary people doing extraordinary things without expectation of recognition.
What do senior companions do?
Senior Companions can help with a multitude of things including:
- Companionship: talking, listening, life review, and reminiscing
- Encouragement: helping the client to maintain relationships and communication with family, friends, and other community interests
- Accompanying a client to social or recreational events
- Assisting with awareness, reality orientation, hobbies, sharing handwork or crafts, and other activities
- Playing games or cards
- Going out to lunch
- Writing letters, reading, assisting with phone calls
- Respite care
- Personal care
- Home management
- Information and advocacy
What are the benefits of becoming a Senior Companion?
- Tax-free stipend
- Mileage & meal reimbursement
- Free annual physical exam
- Supplemental insurance coverage
- Paid holidays
- Paid time off
- 40 hours of orientation training and 4 hours of in-service training monthly
What type of clients do Senior Companions serve?
Wyoming Senior Companions work with adults, 21 years or older, with special needs, meaning frail, disabled, homebound or lonely individuals who want or need the assistance of a special, dependable friend. There are no income eligibility requirements, and services are provided free of charge to all clients.
How does it work?
Companions get assigned to a volunteer station in their community. A volunteer station can be a senior center or other health/social services agency. The volunteer station staff then match the Senior Companion’s skills and interests with the needs of the clients. Most Companions visit from 5 to 10 clients on a regular basis each week. If you are interested in becoming a senior companion, Wyoming Senior Citizens Inc, is looking for you, give them a call at 1-877-634-1005.
What can’t a companion do?
- Activities usually performed by doctors, nurses, or nurses aides (giving medication, giving insulin, clipping nails, bathing, etc)
- Proselytizing (regarding religion, politics, etc)
- Serving as a companion on weekends, evening or unassigned weekday hours
- Custodial housework normally performed by staff, or household
- Advancing funds to a client or depositing cash in a bank account
- Accepting gifts of money or accepting personal property
- Major household repairs, shoveling snow, mowing the lawn, or heavy gardening
- Heavy housework
- Lifting clients, heavy objects or moving large pieces of furniture
- Extensive shopping
- Food preparation; preparing for or cleaning up after visitors
- Caring for or training pets
- Conducting or supervising group recreational or social activities
- Supervision of other Senior Companion
- Signing legal papers
Meet the team at Wyoming Senior Citizens Inc.
Wyoming Senior Citizens is located in Cheyenne at 3120 Old Faithful Road, Suite 200. For more information about all the services, they provide call them at 307.634.1010 or check them out online
Interested in being featured on LIV Health Local Spotlight?
We’re always looking for other awesome community organizations, programs and people to feature, give us a shout! Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about LIV Health, what we do and who we are, check out the rest of our website!
Like, follow and connect with us on your favorite social media platform